Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Ghost of Oz

Ghostface is doing an R&B album...sorta.  He's going with guest appearances from well known R&B acts, and the subject matter is gonna be a little different.  As Ghost explains,  "we gettin' older! And everybody don’t sell crack no more, man. I don’t sell crack, yo. I ain’t movin' no bricks or none of that other shit. I ain't shoot nobody in like…since the early 90's, man."

But the real issue that needs to be explored is his love for "The Wizard of Oz."  Maybe it's the Ironman/Tin Man link, or maybe there's some sort of visceral connection, But it's no surprise; Ghost has always had a playful side.  The classic movie has popped up in his rhymes several times:

I'm like a green and white kickball, I bounce
Spin off walls and cars, the Wizard of Clarks, Tony Oz
- “Ghostface,” The Pretty Toney Album

Mossied off gracefully, New York's most wanted tee-ball hawk
Seen the yellow brick road, lust of pastries
- "Apollo Kids," Supreme Clientele

Walk with me like Dorothy
Try to judge these plush degrees
- "Apollo Kids," Supreme Clientele

None of that matches the cover for his new album Wizard of Poetry



This is easily the best album cover I have seen in the last two years.  If I ever get a chance to interview Ghost, the first question I'm asking is about his affinity for that movie.  Wizard of Poetry drops on Sept. 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment